Thursday, June 23, 2011

Blog Flashback: Stan Mikita, Bobby Hull and...Kitch

Chicago, IL; October 23, 2010

Chicago’s United Centre is a wonderful place to watch hockey. I’d go so far as to say that it’s my favourite venue aside from Madison Square Garden. In the Windy City, you have passionate and knowledge fans, more than 20,000 of them, screaming from the first note of the national anthem through the final siren of the game. It’s not known as the Madhouse on Madison for nothing.

I’m continuing my tradition – unintended, but cool nonetheless – of seeing a game in the home arena of the defending Stanley Cup champs. The 2010 banner, the first for the ‘Hawks in too many years for fans in this hockey-mad city, was only raised to the rafters a few weeks ago, and the gloss is still there for the fans. Tonight’s opponent: Columbus Blue Jackets. The rookie goaltender, Corey Crawford pulled spot duty tonight, relieving free agent acquisition Marty Turco.

It’s been a long day. I left Vegas on a 6.00am flight to Chicago, feeling better when I got off the plane in the Windy City than I did managed to squeeze in a tour of Wheaton, IL, lunch and drinks at Buffalo Wild Wings (where I almost had whiplash from trying to keep track of a dozen games in a dozen screens around the restaurant/bar) a stroll along the Illinois Prairie Path, and a few minutes of unplanned but much-needed sleep on the couch – Cam Newton’s latest round of gridiron heroics weren’t enough to keep me awake this afternoon – before we headed downtown to United Centre.

 In front of the Michael Jordan statue outside of United Centre

We got to the arena in time for warm-ups, which we watched from the glass. We had awesome seats, maybe twelve rows back, down in the corner, on the opposite side of the ice to the benches, and just above and to the right of the 2010 Stanley Cup Champions banner. Standing on the edge of the rink, we got close-ups of Sharp, Kane, Toews, Bolland, and all the other stars of the 2010 Stanley Cup run. These guys are all legitimate superstars now, thanks to the epically magical playoff run of the last spring. No complaints. I was looked after so incredibly well by people whom I barely know, really, and it’s a credit to them. As I always say, hockey people are some of the best people on earth.


Patrick Sharp


Johnathan Toews and Patrick Kane

The first period was rather uneventful. In light of events in the second, I can't recall the score, though I know the ‘Hawks netted one, because we all went crazy singing Chelsea Dagger by The Fratellis – an awesome goal song. Brian disappeared during the first intermission, while I got to try an awesome Chicago-style beef sandwich and some equally awesome 312 beer, a local brew. 312 is the local phone prefix, by the way.

During the second period, things got amazingly and wonderfully trippy. Suddenly, Brian’s telling us that we’ve gotta vacate our seats. I’m following along, wondering what is going on, doing what I’m told. We’re about to get in a lift on the concourse, and suddenly, from the balcony above, a familiar face looks down and says something to Brian. It’s Stan Mikita, Hall of Famer, Chicago legend, and our new best friend, for at least the duration of the middle period.

So here we are, up in his awesome suite – Stan is now a Blackhawks ambassador, and has a wonderful perspective on the game from where he watches – talking about Australia and my love of the game. I’m tripping out. Then it gets better. In a blaze of coolness, walks the Golden Jet, Bobby Hull. Bobby freakin’ Hull! Someone asks if I know who he is. What sort of a hockey fan would I be if I didn't? I’m speechless, amazingly, and I was feeling pretty dizzy. Stan and Bobby, holdovers from the 1961 Blackhawks team, the last to win Lord Stanley before Toews, Sharp, Kane and co., are talking to me. To me!

Both Bobby and Stan wear their Stanley Cup rings, from 1961 and 2010. I’m looking at both and suddenly Bobby’s offering me a chance to wear his ring. It’s crazy! I’m wearing a 2010 Stanley Cup Champions ring. The fact that players strive for years and years and sometimes never get this close to the jewellery on my finger definitely spun crazily through my mind as I posed for photos. Brian had a photo with both rings on, just to make the boys at the office jealous. I felt like I wanted to pinch myself, it was that surreal.


Me wearing the 2010 Stanley Cup Championship ring


Everywhere these guys go, a professional photographer follows them. So in he comes, with a camera with a giant lens, and snaps a few photos. There’s me, arm resting easily on Bobby Hull’s shoulder, listening to him put the silky smooth moves in Debbie, who was close to tears – who wasn't?! – and doubtless feeling as blessed as I was to be there, with those guys, watching hockey from the best seats in the house. Some of us inquired about Jonathan Toews. Others, myself included, found it hard to say anything! The Golden freakin’ Jet! Who’d have guessed? It made me so badly want to be a Blackhawks fan. But I still love you, New York Rangers!


The photo. I have a copy in my room and in my office. Never fails to make me smile!


A photo of us taking a photo of Bobby's rings, with Stan watching over from behind

The third period was a blur. We went back to our seats, and, of course, showed the shots on our cameras to everyone around. Sort of like, Hah! We met Bobby and Stan and you didn't. They showed Bobby on the big screen in the third, from the very suite where we’d been twenty minutes before. Everyone cheered, myself included.


As close as I'll probably come to Lord Stanley. But, after tonight, who knows?

The ‘Hawks lost the game. You know, it didn't really kill me. I wouldn't have cared if they’d gotten blown out 9-0 because I was basking in the whole Bobby/Stan experience that my amazing hosts managed to organise for me. I couldn't thank them enough for such a once-in-a-lifetime experience. That was the third day of my trip, and I don't think that anything else I do will get better than this. That’s the sort of night it was! Just insanely cool. 


Chicago's United Centre - the Madhouse on Madison

Bobby and Stan – and Jonathan Toews, typically – were all we talked about on the way home to Wheaton, and all I thought about all night and into this morning, as I try to put it all down in my computer for safe keeping!

Bears game today!

No comments:

Post a Comment