Saturday, August 29, 2015

America 2015: Day Thirty (28 August 2015)


That tobacco town where I grew up
The tailgate down on a jacked up truck
A ring we earned cause we owned that state
A tombstone with my daddy's name
Now the six string dream on a crazy course
Has got my compass losing North
And I need someone to remind me who I am
Oh, Carolina can

                                                                                                                   - Chase Rice

Friday 28 August

The sun was out and shining when we woke up, and on our way out of town, we went to the Myrtle Beach Sky Wheel, a ferris wheel that is exactly the same size as those in Seattle and in Niagara, across on the Canadian side. It’s also the tallest wheel east of the Mississippi River.

There’s no better place to get a good look at the entirety of Myrtle Beach, even up towards the distant North Myrtle Beach, some thirteen miles north. The wheel’s highest point has you 53 meters (175 feet) above the beach in glass-enclosed, climate-controlled gondolas that can hold up to six people. As you can see from the photos, the weather did it’s bit, and we were able to see a long way into the distance.
Spelling obviously isn't a huge priority...
 
Sadly, after we rode the Sky Wheel it was time to leave Myrtle Beach. Our next stop is Charleston, two hours’ further south, and lately most famous for the ugly race-related shooting in a church. It’s a real shame that the shooting gets so much press, because Charleston is a really beautiful city. Like Wilmington yesterday, there is so much of the past still visible here: buildings in that classic plantation-home style that must date back towards the 1700s dot every street. Nowadays, they’re bars and restaurants and boutique hotels. It’s a great city to wander around without any particular place to go, just taking in the atmosphere.

 

We had dinner at a place called Sticky Fingers Smokehouse just down the road from the hotel, and as far as BBQ goes, this was stellar. Man, I’ve gotten to sample some amazing southern food this trip, and Sticky Fingers is as good as any. I ate wings with a great hot sauce and sides of coleslaw (homemade, and amazing) and baked beans. It doesn’t get much more southern than that. The fact that the plate cost only $11 is insane. I know I’ve said this a dozen times before about food down here, but the prices are almost too incredible to believe.

I should also report that I had a haircut today, and unlike the last time I tried that over here, about five years ago, the person lowering my ears wasn't a crazy guy who believed in conspiracy theories and only wanted to talk to me about Julian Assange and Steve Irwin. The old number two all over – or the buzz-cut, as they like to call it here – cost me a little less than it does in Australia.
 

The news down here seems to be split three ways: the Virginia TV shootings, the tropical storm forming off of Florida and Donald Trump’s baffling popularity in the latest election polling. Three things that we could all do without, I reckon.

Spent the evening watching high school football – yeah, very American – and drinking bottles of Bud Light. Another good day in the books! Hard to believe we’ll be back home in one week’s time.

No comments:

Post a Comment