Saturday, December 21, 2013

America 2013: Day Twenty-Seven - December 18 | New York City Nutcracker Ballet #NYR

Some folks like to get away, take a holiday from the neighbourhood, hop a flight to Miami Beach, or to Hollywood. But I'm taking a Greyhound on the Hudson River Line. I'm in a New York state of mind.

- Billy Joel

My name is Andrew Kitchener, and I have a confession to make: I like hockey, violent movies, football…and, you know, I didn’t mind the ballet too much, either!

Yes! It’s true. We went to the matinee performance Nutcracker at the Lincoln Centre for Performing Arts here in New York City this afternoon and although I didn’t have a major idea about what was going on down there on the stage, it was a fantastic performance of colour, movement and Christmas cheer. Going in there, I wasn’t sure that I’d even be able to remain awake during the two-hour performance, let alone enjoy it as much as I did.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not sure that I’d go to another ballet, but you can’t help but admire the conditioning and skill of the performers on the stage. Their incredible agility and flexibility – something I can only dream of – is really something to see. Plus, the orchestra in the pit in front of the stage were incredible. The only thing I wish had been there was some more room under the seats and at my feet. We were jammed in like passengers on a New York City subway at peak hour. Oh, wait…



Stopped in at one of my favourite places in the world, the NHL Shop on Avenue of Americas, and did some shopping before we went up to the Top of the Rock Observation Deck. The visibility was very good, especially over Central Park to the north. The only downside was that the sun, at around midday, was in a position that made it a little difficult to get clear shots downtown: Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

Top of the Rock: Looking south towards Battery Park. Statue of Liberty visible in upper right corner

Even so, there’s nothing like being 80-odd stories above New York City. It’s not until you’re up there that you realise just how enormous and far-reaching this great city is. All five boroughs and most of the bridges linking Manhattan with New Jersey, Queens and Brooklyn are all visible, as is the distant Jersey Shore, across the breadth of the Hudson River.

They call New York City streets concrete canyons, and from as high up as we were, it’s not hard to see why. Streets are north-south or east-west, straight as an arrow, right down to the Battery Park district. Even from this high, the sound of sirens and horns floats up on the breeze, though everything else is eerily silent. If you come to New York, I highly recommend going up to see this view. It’s incredible.

Top of the Rock: Looking north, with the Hudson River and George Washington Bridge left

In the evening, we went down to visit my brother, who is also travelling through America. Their itinerary seems to be a few steps ahead of ours – pure coincidence – because this is the fourth city that we’ve arrived in whilst they’ve been there, or just a few days after: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Lake Tahoe and now New York City.

Then, my highlight/lowlight of the night:

I’m a Rangers fan. Since I first watched hockey, I’ve bled red, white and blue. For me, and many thousands like me, heaven looks a lot like Madison Square Garden, at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Broadway at 23rd Street, right there in the bustling heart of Midtown Manhattan. Heaven sounds like the blaring goal horn, and eighteen thousand singing the Rangers goal song with lung-bursting enthusiasm.

Walking into the Garden is an absolute privilege. There’s so much history there – Jordan dropped 55 on the Knicks in 1995 and Kobe Bryant bettered that with 61 against the Knicks fourteen years later; the Rangers broke The Curse and won the Stanley Cup in the spring of 1994, Frazier and Ali contested the Fight of the Century in 1971 and a rematch three years later, and anyone who’s anyone in the music world has played it’s famous stage – and it envelopes you as soon as you come in off the street.

National Anthem at The Garden

Tonight, the Blueshirts played Eastern Conference heavyweights Pittsburgh, and their star, the best player in the world, Sidney Crosby – who is roundly and thoroughly booed each time he touches the puck. It was supposed to be a mismatch. The Rangers are horrible this year. The Pens are very good. And the game seemed to be going to script midway through the third period, when Pittsburgh took a 3-1 lead. Then, an epic comeback. The Rangers scored two goals to take the game to overtime, relied upon some excellent goaltending from Henrik ‘The King’ Lundqvist to take it into a shootout. Five rounds later, the Pens squeaked out with a 3-2 win.


Alas, it was not to be tonight. Hoping for a win on Friday night against our blood rivals, the New York Islanders. What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment