Sunday, December 6, 2015

Book Review: The Call of the High Country by Tony Parsons




I found this book when I ran a Google search for ‘books set in the high country’, meaning the NSW Snowy Mountains. Given the title, Tony Parsons’ book jumped out at me. The blurb on the back cover looked excellent – just what I was looking for – and I jumped right in…

…only to discover early n that the high country referenced in the book was, in fact, not actually in the Snowy Mountains, but at the other end of the state, near Merriwa. The High Peaks property that is as much a focal point of the story as any of it’s inhabitants, appears to be on a ridge but it’s not the Snowies, and I felt a little let down.
For a moment, before I realised how good the story was. The first third of the book tells the story of the romance of Andy MacLeod and his wife Anne, and then subtly shifts focus to their charismatic young son – almost a carbon copy of his father – David, or, as he is known, Davie.

The story is a wide-ranging one, charting the journey of High Peaks and it’s inhabitants, including next-door neighbours, relatives and other characters, some who live as far away as Queensland from the years after the Second World War right through to the 1980’s. There’s plenty of talk about cattle dogs, sheep and horses. In fact, I learnt a lot about life working the unforgiving Australian land as a result. The story flows nicely, through good and bad seasons, and there’s just enough intrigue and adventure to make sure the story doesn’t bog down. Something is always happening.

Of course, there’s romance. David attracts the attention of Catriona Campbell, the young and beautiful daughter of the well-to-do graziers next door. The problem is, the Campbell’s and MacLeod’s don’t move in the same social circles, and David is hesitant to enter into a relationship as a result. Especially when he’s obsessed with winning the national cattle dog trials that are held in Canberra every year. The build-up to the trials is the focal point of the last third of the book.

I’m glad I stuck with this book even when I found out that it wasn't set in the Snowy Mountains. I don’t normally read this sort of thing – military and espionage fiction is my usual non-fiction go-to, when I’m not reading Star Wars – but I’m glad I got into it, because I enjoyed the story and I learnt a lot of new things.

The sequel, Return to the High Country, is on my list of books to read over the Christmas break.

No comments:

Post a Comment