Thursday, December 10, 2015

Book Review: Tom Clancy’s Under Fire by Grant Blackwood




Whilst no one can approach the heights of the great man Tom Clancy himself – he was undoubtedly a master of intricate storytelling that blends the realms of military, espionage and politics into one great saga – I’ve generally enjoyed the books either co-written by Clancy with another author, or simply by chosen authors after Clancy’s untimely death, glad that at least the Clancy characters are still having their stories told. 

I read Dead or Alive, written by Grant Blackwood, with some limited input from Clancy, a few years ago, and found it very entertaining. So, I figured I’d enjoy Under Fire, as it was also penned by Blackwood. Except that I didn’t. There just wasn't any real pizzazz to the book! I kept soldering on, hoping that in the middle or towards the end, the plot would pick up and make it really worth my while, but it didn’t happen. I kept on right to the last page because, well…I’m stubborn like that.

The plot revolves around a planned coup in the country of Dagestan, Jack Ryan Jr. is dragged unwittingly into a confusing and murky world, because his best friend from their childhood days, Seth Gregory, is also knee-deep in trying to ensure the Dagestanis achieve their desired independence. That effort is being helped along by the CIA, who believe an independent Dagestan will further destabilise Russia and their ambitious president Valeri Volodin.

There’s plenty of double-crossing, and action, and the writing isn’t bad, it just didn’t grab me like these sorts of books usually do. I expected more. By no means is this the worst book I’ve ever read, it’s just that I’m used to a different level from the Clancy universe, and despite the appearance of a few old faces – John Clark and Dom Caruso, chief amongst them – it just didn’t feel like the other entries into the Jack Ryan universe. And there just didn’t seem to be any of the frantic urgency that I’ve come to expect.

(As an aside, am I the only one who finds it completely implausible that the son of the current President of the United States, can work for a clandestine intelligence agency, and not be shadowed everywhere by Secret Service? Generally, I’ll suspend belief for the sake of the good story, but this one wasn't great, so it got me thinking!)

I’m hoping that Mark Greaney’s Commander in Chief, the latest release in the Clancy universe redeems the franchise.

No comments:

Post a Comment